This is a healthy choice as far as cookies go, and they are very moist and tasty too.
1 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/4 cup boiling water
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
Liquid egg equivalent to 1 large egg
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons melted margarine
- Place dates in a small bowl and pour boiling water over. Set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, ground flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- In another bowl, combine egg, brown sugar, molasses and margarine. Add dates and water to this mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients, stir to combine.
- Refrigerate the dough for about an hour until firm enough to roll.
- Take rounded teaspoons of dough and form into balls (dust your palms with flour to prevent sticking.)
- Place balls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets, and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 10 minutes. Cookies should still be soft to the touch.
- Remove from pan to a baking rack to cool. Makes about 40 cookies.